AGES 14 – 16
Tuesdays 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
This club aims to help students learn about various creative writing mediums, expose themselves to new literature, and develop their creative writing skills. Students will explore memoirs, song lyrics, poetry, one-act plays, and short stories. This is an opportunity to not only learn but to discover an outlet for artistic expression and develop a deeper appreciation for literature.
*We also have a creative writing club for ages 11-13! Call for more information.
Class Descriptions and Schedule
- What inspires you?
- What books/movies/TV shows do you like? Why?
- What subjects are you interested in?
- What do you like about writing? What don’t you like?
- Read examples of short autobiographies/memoirs
- Students will write a short autobiography/memoir
- Students will choose a song whose lyrics they find interesting/inspiring
- Students will discuss song lyrics. Why do you like them? What words or phrases stand out to you? What do they make you feel?
- Students will write their own song lyrics, don’t need to match music
- Students will learn basics of poetry (i.e. sonnet, limerick, iambic pentameter, free form, rhyme scheme, etc)
- Students will write at least three poems, all different styles
- Students will read examples of a one-act play
- Students will research and read a one-act play of their choice
- Students will discuss their one-act play
- Students will write their own one-act play
- Students will read several short stories and discuss
- Students will research and read a short story of their choice
- Students will write their own short stories